ServiceMaster Complete Restoration by Stiffey

412.427.0086

24/7/365 Emergency Services

Fire Restoration in Pittsburgh, PA: Five Ways to Prevent Electrical Fires

November 16th, 2015 · No Comments

The fire restoration experts at ServiceMaster by Stiffey in Pittsburgh, PA will always be there to aid you in the stressful process of recovering from a disastrous situation. We also like to share helpful tips so that you hopefully never have to deal with the damaging effects of a fire in your home. Today we’re going to talk specifically about electrical fires and ways to prevent them from happening.

  1. Inspect electrical wiring – A great way to avoid having to deal with a fire restoration effort is to prevent one in the first place. A common cause of electrical fires is worn electric wiring. Make sure to have your electrical wiring checked if your home is more than ten years old.
  2. Check the plugs on electrical appliances – The plugs on your electrical appliances can fray and rip over long periods of time. These broken plugs can cause shocks that can spark and overheat to start an electrical fire.
  3. Don’t use too many outlets – Using excessive outlets and having too many power strips in your home can spell disaster. Your home’s electrical circuits can only supply a certain amount of electricity to each outlet and one time and overloading an outlet can cause a spark, which can lead to an electrical fire.
  4. Purchase surge protectors – Surge protectors protect your appliances and anything plugged into an outlet from power surges. Power surges can overload the outlet and lead to a fire.
  5. Be wary of certain appliances – If your appliance blows a fuse, trips a circuit, or sparks during use, unplug the appliance and consider if it needs to be repaired of replaced.

It’s our sincere hope that these tips help you to prevent an electrical fire in your home. If you do happen to have a fire in your home, contact the fire restoration experts at ServiceMaster by Stiffey in Pittsburgh, PA and we’ll be right by your side to help every step of the way.

Tags: Fire Damage · ServiceMaster by Stiffey · Uncategorized ·


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *